Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Website: ifttt.com

Funny name. Useful tool. http://ifttt.com. Ifttt stands for If That Then This (and variations of that phrase). It is a tool that allows you to schedule automatic and recurring web tasks. Here are three examples of tasks I have set up.

1. Blog Posts to Evernote.
I have always needed an automatic system that saves to my Evernote any new blog post I publish. This tool allows that to happen. So, any time I publish a post here, on my leadership blog or on my speaking skills blog, it will automatically send that text to my Evernote - which is my primary information gathering, filtering, indexing and creating platform.

2. Starred Google Reader Posts to Evernote.
Similar to the first task, except this saves to my Evernote content other people have published. I read about 150 blogs everyday via Google Reader. When I read one that is excellent, I star it. Now, when I do this, that content will automatically be saved in my Evernote for quicker access and easier searchability.

3. Facebook Pictures to Dropbox
When I post a picture on my Facebook, this tool will automatically save a copy of that photo (albeit a Facebook-version low-resolution copy) into an IFTTT folder in my Dropbox - my primary tool for saving docs I can access across devices.

There are many more uses for this tool. Some of them are easily discovered via their Recipes function. These are customized Tasks other users have created that you can use for your information.

No comments:

Post a Comment